Client: Newport City Homes
Contractor: Water Living Space
Bay Associates have been appointed as Structural engineers for the upgrading Greenwood, Hillview and Milton Court Tower Blocks in Newport, South Wales. Each tower block was constructed in the early 1970s and is a 12 storey concrete frame building.
The proposals include new over cladding and PV at roof level to both improve each buildings energy performance and aesthetics.
Each block will require a structural assessment of the existing building state of repair together with an appraisal of the impact of any proposed modification works. As a consequence, a structural investigation strategy including in-situ testing etc is required to allow a thorough assessment of the existing buildings maintenance liabilities (if any) and for new over cladding. A full refurbishment scope of works include:-
- Concrete repairs to existing structure & new M & E services
- Over-cladding the external walls, including replacing external doors and windows
- Re-roofing flat roofs and balconies
- New steel roof structure supporting PV modules
- Re-modelling of flats to include kitchens and bathrooms